Adolescent & Adult Orthodontics in Santa Monica, CA
Adolescent Orthodontic Treatment
1. Your jaws are still growing and developing. Your orthodontist can take advantage of this growth to help correct your bite more readily. Examples include:
- The growth of your lower jaw can make correcting an overbite much easier with orthodontic appliances.
- A narrow upper jaw that is still developing can be readily widened with a palatal expander.
2. The bone in your jaws at this age is less hard than when you are an adult. This makes orthodontic tooth movement more efficient and more tolerable.
3. Your adult teeth have just erupted within the last few years and have the natural anatomy present. It is easier to fit together the upper and lower teeth when the natural grooves and ridges are still present.
4. Any oral habits, such as tongue thrusting or thumb sucking, can be more easily stopped at a younger age.
5. Most likely, some of your friends or family are also going through orthodontic treatment at this age. It is generally the most socially acceptable time to straighten your teeth.
It can be fun to pick different braces colors each month to match with a friend or have someone to compare rubber band patterns with or the number of Invisalign trays you have. This can be motivational to help you wear your appliances more diligently and finish treatment sooner.
Orthodontics for Adults in Santa Monica
We are often asked, “Am I too old to get braces or Invisalign?”
The simple answer is, no. It is not too late! You can receive orthodontic treatment at any age, provided that your gums and bone levels (or periodontium) are under control.
If you are not currently seeing a general dentist or periodontist for routine cleanings and exams, we recommend that you do so before starting orthodontic treatment. This will ensure that your teeth are healthy before we start tooth movement. Throughout orthodontic treatment, it is important to maintain at least a 3- to 6-month cleaning/exam recall with your general dentist and periodontist for the most ideal results.
With esthetic alternatives such as Ceramic Braces and Invisalign, adults are seeking orthodontic treatment more than ever before. You can now straighten your teeth discretely so that no one has to know. In fact, over half of our patients at Vision Dental Orthodontics are adults, so you will always feel welcome in our office.
Some Benefits to Adult Orthodontic Treatment:
- Straighter teeth provide easier access for brushing and flossing.
- A healthy, straight smile boosts your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life.
- Fixing your bite can prevent uneven or irregular tooth wear over time.
- Fixing your bite can allow for better chewing and speech function.
How Do I Get Started?
Please contact us to schedule an initial complimentary consultation. We will examine your teeth and provide you with an orthodontic treatment plan tailored to your needs.